Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Deleting Older Files

I have a backup job that has failed.

The database size is 20.6 GB and the Transaction logs are 135MB

The amount of disk space I have left is 3.65MB. Which I know is not going to work.

However on the maintenance plan it is suppose to remove files older than 1 day.

I am wondering if a job works like this:

Step 1 create backup file
Step 2 Create Transaction Log Back up
Step 3 Delete old backup file
Step 4 Delete old Transaction log back up

Which tell me I would need to have double amount of disk space to accommodate 2 20 GB backup file and 2 135MB Transaction log file.

Is this correct??

Also is there a way that I can have step 3,4 done first.

LystraAs far as the full backup, you can overwrite the old backup file every time you take a full backup. This way you don't need to reserve the space for two full backup file. In the case of log backup, if you don't need to or don't want to backup the log file, just use simple recovery mode. It looks like you are deleting them any way.|||That's the problem it is not deleting the older files, even though I have it check to delete the files.

The database recovery mode is set to full.

Lystra|||Drives are cheap....

And what happens when you need to migrate data around?

Do you have a disaster box?

How odten do you dump the transaction log?

How many dumps do you have now?

How big is the hard drive?|||I think I have solve the problem. The actual mdf is 47.2GB big and there is not enough disk space to accommodate this backup.

Thanks

Lystra|||Not to sound like a broken record.

I think I have solve the problem. The actual mdf is 47.2GB big and there is not enough disk space to accommodate this backup.

Thanks

Lystra

No comments:

Post a Comment